If you’re not one of the more than 420 million active users of Gmail, you’re probably looking for a step by step guide on how to set up an account.
After all, you’ve read and heard how awesome this web-based email service is. It’s the most popular out of all the web-based email services out there. In fact, it’s widely considered as the best. This is why you’re looking to set up an account so you can start taking advantage of what it has to offer.
First of all, you have to make sure that you have the necessary requirements to set up an account. You don’t have to worry because you just need two things – a computer and an Internet connection. To help preserve your security, it’s a good idea to set up a Gmail account on your home computer.
How to Set Up an Account
Here’s a step by step guide on how to set up a Gmail account:
- Go to the homepage of Gmail at http://mail.google.com/. You’ll be directed to the sign-in page.
- Since you don’t have an account yet, you need to click on the link that says, “Create an account”.
- Fill out the form. You need to provide your first and last name. You also need to select a username and a password. For the username, you can use letters, numbers, and periods. If the username you’ve chosen is not available, it will indicate there that it’s not available and you need to choose another username. Suggestions will also be provided. You also need to provide your gender and birthday. Your mobile phone number will also be asked for verification purposes. Lastly, provide your current email address and location.
- “Prove you’re not a robot” by typing the text provided in the visual verification field.
- Click on “Next Step”.
- At this point, you’ve already set up your Gmail account. You can go directly to your inbox or you can choose to set up your account further. You can add a photo for your profile picture. This will show up when you use Google’s services like Gmail, YouTube, Google+ and the likes.
What to Do Next
Go to your inbox and explore your brand new email account. You can send a test email to another email address that you own. You can also customize your email account with tabs and labels. You can also choose to change the theme. Soon enough, you’ll be enjoying the benefits of this email service. For starters, you’ll get the most storage given by a web-based email service provider. If you’ll be a regular user, you’ll never have to delete messages just to make way for new one. That’s just one of the benefits that you’ll find out as you start using your account.
As you can see, setting up a Gmail account is easy. Go ahead and set up your account now.